There has been an integrating theme across my work recently, of integration. Recently it was in Istanbul exploring the integrator role of pharmacists in the health care team; last week it was implicit in working with a Joint Venture team of two different cultures and companies.
When we seek to integrate, we expand our possibilities. It need not just about integrating across sectors like a Tri-Sector Athlete mentioned in a previous post, but on a day to day level of integrating ideas, beliefs, values, learning and others into our lives. Serving to integrate our past, present and future.
What does it take to integrate? From my observation of people who do it well, including across organisational and national cultures, and with a penchant for alliteration, could it be these 8Cs?
- Compassion: they care - you can feel that they do.
- Courage: they act despite of their fears.
- Communication: they strive to understand.
- Comfort with complexity: they say yes to the mess and embrace ambiguity.
- Connect detail with the big picture: they see the interplay between factors, are visionary and practical.
- Collaborate: they know they aren’t an island, but part of the team/solution.
- Creative: they spark off ideas.
- Connected: they cultivate a rich, connected and vibrant network.
Image source: As posted by Vivid Greeting Cards on Facebook 17 June 2013. Vivid Greeting Cards – luxury matte greeting cards. Sign up to their Facebook Page to celebrate art, beauty and the many wonders of the world : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vivid-Greeting-Cards/187838957957375